Sunday, April 10, 2011

Radiation Update - Japan 4/10

So, on the 10th, the general trend is still down, but we have seen a slight uptick in Miyagi, a minor sniffle up in Nagano, and a bit of a bounce here in Niigata. But that is still inside the high end of the "average" range in Niigata anyway...

I have selected several prefectures, including my own, which are round Fukushima.


I have now included Ibaraki, as the radiation has now dropped below 0.16, which marks the top of my graph!

Just to put it into perspective.

All this radiation is measured in microsieverts per hour. Just to put it into perspective, a chest X-ray will see you get blasted by 50 microsieverts, a flight from tokyo to New York and back, will see you subjected to 190 microsieverts, and should you require a serious stomach X-ray, thats 600 microsieverts.

Also, the average person per year, through using the microwave and other objects will receive 2400 microsieverts. A CAT scan will see you walloped with 6900 microsieverts, and the maximum a nuclear power worker is allowed is 50,000 microsieverts. 

Finally, at 100,000 microsieverts, your risk of cancer will increase! By a massive 0.5%!

So, I have my iodine tablets, but I am not unduly worried!

No comments: