Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Its coming! Flee! Flee for your lives!

As I type this, Kashiwazaki is beginning to feel the lead bands of Typhoon 918, or Typhoon Melor. The biggest typhoon that has rolled around the Pacific for quite some time, and the fantastic news is that Kashiwazaki has a ruddy great bulls-eye painted on it!

Japan is beginning to look like a Christmas tree with pretty much every prefecture either under a weather advisory, or warning. Mostly in the south and east of the country at the moment, and mainly due to the heavy rain now lashing the country.

Niigata is still under an advisory, not a full weather warning. However, that will change soon enough!

The weather is going to get worse, with rain being dumped across Japan. Wind is not the major killer in a Typhoon, though it does not exactly caress the land with soothing fingers, but the rain. The rain, combined with the wind can create devastating landslides and flooding. The likes of which have already devastated the Phillippines.

However, what really gripes me is the fact that tomorrow, about the time the Typhoon turns up, I was supposed to have engineers round fixing my air conditioning unit. Something I have been pestering my employer to sort for a good number of weeks now!

As it stands, the Typhoon is due to pass right past Kashiwazaki, just off the coast. Not over us, but as close as makes no difference.

So, there is a good chance I will be out of communication for a while.

If I can, I will try to take some pictures of all these doings and post them on line!

1 comment:

Thomas Hammerlund said...

Hopefully it makes a quick exit.