Saturday, December 13, 2008

Christmas run-in

Well, Christmas is almost upon us. The Hockey season is gearing up, and the Phoenix are in for a busy month, though with the cancellation of the game against Coventry on the 22nd, the Phoenix have gained a little respite. Selfishly, I am deeply disappointed, since it cuts the number of games I get to see! However, I do understand the logic around it, and the fixtures cannot be planned around 1 fan (though I think it should!).

However, this will be my last blog for a bit, and just want to use the opportunity to tie up a few loose threads rattling round in my head before I sign off for a while.

1. The Phoenix look to be settling into 5th in the league, with a little inconsistancy creeping in. Beating the Capitals in a close game on a very cold night, sandwiched between defeats to two of the "Big 4." Guess we will see what the outcome will be against the Bison. Given how the "Big 4" have basically not changed, I do think more has to be done to even the playing field! Those 4 obviously have the financial ability to pull away from the rest of us, even though the gap is a little closer this year, there is still that gap!

2. The Winter Classic in the NHL is coming up soon. A big game between the Chicago Blackhawks, and Detroit Redwings taking place at Chicago Red Sox' Wrigley Field. Promises to be fantastic, with Winter games allready being hosted in Edmonton, and Buffalo. These games have been big successes, and this game looks like taking this, and being even bigger still. Even if you ignore the fact that its at one of America's most storied venues, its a game between 2 of the "Origional 6," and that the Redwings are the current Champions!

The debate is raging on about the Winter Classic, over the pond. It is popular, and the fans are largely happy with it. However, a lot of people want it to be a "special event" rather than something that loses its "specialness" by happening too much, and losing its lustre.

I dont believe that it will lose its shine, since there are 32 teams in the NHL, and plenty of games to choose from! If there is just one game a year, Then it will take you 16 years just to feature every team once. Then across North America you have a number of venues that could be used for such a game. Yankee Stadium for one! Can anyone see the possibility of a Rangers/Islanders Winter Classic??

OK, a little tricky to have a Winter Classic game in Phoenix, Arizona, where its till flippin warm come winter. However, these problems are not allways insurmountable. As long as the NHL has the guts to try. As the 4th sport in North America, the NHL do have to try something big to move the game on, and try to develop further.

However, I would like it to continue as a regular thing. Rangers v Islanders at Yankee Stadium sounds cool, as does Tampa Bay v Florida at Raymond James Stadium. Who says the Winter Classic has to be cold!? I am sure the players would not mind! Though getting the ice to freeze could be an issue!

3. Pre-Christmas busyness. As I said before I am using this blog to wrap up a few things. Once I have made it through this weekend, I will, at some point, post pics of the Geos Christmas shindigs. Unfortunately, it wont be for a while! Monday is final shopping day before my vacation. Tuesday is last laundry and packing day. Wednesday is packing day, though this time, assisting my girlfriend, since this is her first trip, and she will want to pack everything! The Thursday is go-day, so will be incommunicado until I finally arrive at my parents house on the 21st!

Well, to all those who do stop by, Have a merry Christmas, and a happy new year! My regards to you and yours!

Keep safe!

No comments: