Thursday, December 4, 2008

Manchester Phoenix. International fan club!



If you have read my brothers blogs, you will have seen he got somewhat het up over a couple of stories in the Nottingham Post which proclaimed that the Steelers and Panthers are the best supported clubs in the UK. This, naturally, led my brother to ask "what makes the best supported club?" And he offered up a nice arguement in favour of percentages. And for the intangibles. Such as 'noise.'

However, another element could be "geographic reach." In which case, the Phoenix have an excellent shout. Not only do I live just over 9,000 miles away (Having a shirt on you on holiday in Australia does not count!), but since Kashiwazaki's ice rink has opened, I now have commitments from a bunch of kids that the Phoenix is now their second team! Mainly because they think the shirt looks really cool. And it did come as a surprise its not an NHL shirt...

And here they are!


The small one with the Hockey gloves plays for the Kashiwazaki junior team!


And here is the whole mob of them!

Also, I have a standing invitation to join the local team to train! They got very excited when I started skating. Because I am a foriegner, and more importantly, I can skate backwards! Kind of. Unfortunately, there are 2 main things hindering me from joining. The language is not such an issue. However, 1. I have no kit. 2. They train when I am working! Still, it is nice that I have an invitation!

No comments: