Sunday, December 28, 2008

Happy Christmas to one and all!

Well, still feeling full after Christmas and the presents now sit waiting to be used. Christmas is rolling on, and my vacation back home is progressing nicely.

And my record still holds. Last year I saw 2 Phoenix games, and the Phoenix went 1-1, and again this year! The first game was against the Steelers. The Phoenix started well, and despite the Steelers being the better team, the Phoenix got in their grill, and gave the Steelers all they could handle, and where justly rewarded with a lead heading into the second period.

In the second, I dont know what happened, but the Phoenix never got back on the gas like they did in the first. The Steelers stepped up their game, and clawed back into the game. OK, OK, the Phoenix could take the break, clear their heads, and set it up for an exciting third. Unfortunately, we let ourselves slip further back! Ah well.

I travelled 9,000 miles for that...

Anyhoo. Open the presents, and on to the second game against Newcastle. Well, what a difference. This time, in special green Christmas jerseys, the Phoenix start brightly with Newcastle matching us. A moment of panic when there was a round of handbags on the 5 minute mark with Cloots getting a game penalty for 3rd man in. Little harsh. Still, did not seem to affect the team as the Phoenix bagged 2 within seconds on the 10 minute mark, and a third towards the end of the first.

Newcastle, to their credit, could have got really chippy, but didnt. They tightened up, and got on with it, and the final score was 3-2. So, really close nail-biting stuff. Interspersed with an on-ice game of people running round on the ice carrying stuff, including yours truly. I didnt do too well, trailing in last. However, my shoes are new and the sole does not bend! Running on ice is hard! However, I was the only one not to fall over! So, a moral victory for me anyway!

Still, had a great time. My thanks to all at the Phoenix for making my girlfriend feel so welcome. She will return to Japan with a lot of wonderful memories from this trip! So, my thanks to all, Gambatte to the Phoenix for the rest of the season, and see you all again! Some day!

No comments: